The amazingly sweet and talented Evie from Handmade Romance tagged me a little while back with a Fabulous Sugar Doll Blog Award. How kind is that?! As a result of this award, I have to share 10 things about me – so here goes. Warning – it’s kind of verbose and photo heavy, just like me.
1. My name is Sara. You probably knew that already. But did you know it’s pronounced Sah-rah not Sair-rah? The pronounciation of my name (or constant mis-pronounciation) has been a burden that felt ever so heavy during my school years but seems to be less of a problem these days. Although I do miss having an entire class yell ‘SARA’ to a teacher who dared say it the wrong way. It’s nice to have the support of friends!
I have a very special last name too, which 0.01% percent of people pronounce right first go. It’s Carkagis. I know, I know, I can hear you all saying “Car….what?’ It’s actually not hard to pronounce either – Car-cage-is – but most adults still freak out like it’s some CRAAAAZY weird last name that doesn’t fit into their usual repertoir of Smith, Jones, Brown, Williams etc etc. Kids however, have no problem whatsoever. And yes, it is an anglosised version of a Greek name, in case you were wondering.
I used to hate my name. I wanted to change it to Zara and longed to get married to a man with a simple, common last name but it’s kinda grown on me after all these years.
2. I’m fat. It’s another thing that’s grown on me over the years! I’m certain it’s how people would describe me behind my back – but oddly enough no-one ever seems to mention it in my presence. Like the elephant in the room perhaps?!
to make me look like a supermodel though, was it?
Despite this apparent ‘flaw’, I have a wonderful partner and gorgeous friends who love me dearly. So I’m fairly certain that being skinny wouldn’t/couldn’t make me happier. Which is lucky because I’m also fairly certain that I’ll never be skinny. I’ll never look like Nigella Lawson either, but a girl can dream, right?!
3. I met my lovely partner when we were both 10 years old. We became instant friends. 17 years later we still get on like a house on fire, spend ages on the phone each day listening to each other breathe and laugh at each others jokes and I wouldn’t swap him for the world. (Don’t get me wrong, he drives me insane, but I give as good as I get.)
4. I’m a night owl. And consequently – NOT a morning person. I also love to sleep but mostly during the day. Cat naps rock my world. A cat to cat nap with is even better!
Late at night I like to read, watch black and white films on ABC or World Movies on SBS or while away the hours listening to music and drinking whiskey.
5. I cry. Frequently. I cry when I’m sad, when I’m happy, when I unexpectedly hurt myself, when I see/hear about/think about animals being hurt or dying, when I hear songs that I love, when I think about how awesome Harry Potter is, when people show kindness and love to me, when I don’t get the dinner I want, when I’m watching movies or reading books.
I cry in public a lot too. Like reading on a train on my way home. And sometimes I like to have a good old cry in the shower, then wash all the tear stains away.
If I feel like I’m going to cry – nothing in the world could stop that salty discharge from leaking out.
6. I love to laugh. In fact, it was recently pointed out to me that I’m a giggler. I’d never thought about it before but it’s true, I giggle a lot. After most sentances in fact, if I’m having a friendly conversation. But I don’t limit my laughter just to giggles, I like to laugh loud and hard sometimes. Or just one big HAH! Followed by a booming HAH HAH HAH HAH haaa oh man. I’m pretty sure the neighbours are used it by now. I don’t mind the occasional laugh snort either, if the mood takes me. But I never LOL or ROLF or LMAO. That is for cats only.
Other things I have been known to laugh at mostly include boys – Wes Anderson, Arrested Development, Simon Pegg, The Office – both versions, my brother, my boyfriend, fart noises, Dylan Moran, Shaun Micallef, The Flight of the Conchords, my dad, Seinfeld.
7. I can swear like a sailor and do so, often.
I mostly manage to tone it down when I am around my parents (yes mum, I’m afraid I swear about 90% more when not in your company) and after seeing Fantastic Mr Fox I am hoping to replace my heavy dependance on certain swear words with ‘cuss’. So now my most frequently used phrases will be –
“Are you cussing kidding me?”
“What a cusswit!”
“Get cussed, you mothercussing CUSShole”
“Cuss off, you fat cusser” (this one is always said with a scottish accent)
“That is cussed up”
It’s an appalling habit and terribly unladylike, I know…but swearing, I just can’t quit you.
8. I don’t have an ipod, or an imac or an iphone and I don’t know how to use any of them either. It’s not part of a concious decision to be anti-mac or anything, I’m just immensely uncool and poor.
I went to a private school and painfully remember the desperate desire to own everything in designer or brand names like I felt all the other kids had. I eventually grew up and realised what a crock of cuss that was, embracing opshops, second hand goods and best of all – handmade anything. I know you can’t make your own mobile music player, computer or phone but having what all the cool kids have doesn’t concern me like it used to when I was 13.
9. Guilty pleasures include visiting art galleries and heading straight to their shop, buying books in bookstores even though I have shelves full of books back home which I haven’t read yet, lounging around all day doing very little then hurriedly tidying up the house and doing laundry in the hour before my boyfriend comes home so it looks like I had a busy, productive day and hiding at home alone when I could be out socialising.
10. Women whom I admire/look up to/want to be like when I grow up/have made me who I am/inspire me include:
My amazing mother, Frida Kahlo, Amelie Poulin, J. K Rowling, Enid Blyton, Zadie Smith, Bette Midler, Dolly Parton, Justine Clarke, Tiny Fey, Gertrude Stein, Margaret Atwood, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Xena Warrior Princess, Judith Butler, Beth Gibbons, E. Annie Proulx, Salma Hayek, Liv Tyler, Ashley G, Elloh, Nigella Lawson, Princess Buttercup, Kate, Alex, Pilgrim and as it happens, it’s to those last three lovely ladies that’d I like to pass this award on to!
So that’s it. 10 things about me. Any questions?! Hahahahahaaa